Thursday, May 19, 2011

Humor, Comedy and Gags



What makes something funny or not funny?

Have you ever wondered?

I had a roommate in college who used to say, "I'm gonna chop your tits off!" and then laugh like this expression was the funniest thing in the world. Of course, no one else thought it was funny.

When I was little, I wanted to be a writer/comedian/archeologist (I've suceeded on two of those counts). Ever since then, one of my favorite things to do was to get a rise out of people. Whether it be Mom, Dad, kids on the bus.

It's safe to say, if a person doesn't love to laugh, then I'm pretty much not going to hang out with the dullard.

But what constitutes "funny"?

My favorites are
1. self-deprecation (it takes balls to make fun of yourself--and confidence),
2. sarcasam (saying the reverse of things always kills me),
3. pranks--anything from sticking a sign on someone or something or even wearing a silly hat or making dumb noises, farts, etc.
4. mugging it up--pratt falls, etc.

When Rob and I went to Keystone last weekend and were outside the Holy Terror Mine, we found this weird abandoned metal box attached to the fence. Inside, was a 1940's era phone, which of course no longer worked, so I said, "Pick up the phone and say something stupid into it," and I shot this picture.

But I don't need to have an audience to laugh.

My latest trick when I'm bored at Albertson's, is to whip out my cell phone, when I'm in one of the grocery aisles, and play some of the weird sounds on there that I've recorded and see if anyone notices. 90% of the time, no one notices, wrapped up in their own narcissistic world. But the few who do, look out of the corner of their eye, and I pretend to be seriously involved studying a label on a can of whatever. Then they turn down a different aisle and I laugh.

I don't know what kind of humor that is, but it makes me laugh! So go ahead. Endulge!! Laugh at yourself!

No comments: