Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Spinach Bisque



Doesn't this look divine? Do any of you remember Macomb Dining Company back during the old W.I.U. days? Well, apparently "cheese whiz" went into the original recipe (ewwww!). I found a recipe online from a former W.I.U. graduate and updated it. It originally called for FIVE boxes of frozen spinach. But after I microwaved them to thaw them out, I realized that whomever posted the recipe had to have had a typo. There's NO way 5 boxes could have fit into the recipe. I also increased the amount of cream, too. I put my comments in parentheses.

Here's the original posting for the recipe

*

5 10-ounce packages frozen spinach, thawed and drained well (I used 2 and a half)
*

3 cups half and half (I upped this one cup and used fat-free)
*

3 large packages cream cheese, cubed (I also added 2 TBL of butter)
*

1 can chicken broth
*

¾ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
*

1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
*

1 teaspoon salt
*

½ teaspoon pepper
*

2 cloves garlic

*

In saucepan, heat spinach and half and half until heated through. Add rest of ingredients until all cheese is melted. (I cooked the spinach and half and half on very, very low as to not curdle the milk. It also helps to cook the spinach down a bit. Wait to add that third cup of milk to see how thick or thin you want this soup to be).

No comments: